Monday, May 5, 2008

San Luis Hell Paddle

Robert from Kayak Lake Mead suggested practicing paddling in the wind for the upcoming Desert Winds race. So I took my kayak out to the local big, windy reservoir - San Luis Reservoir. There have been adventure races here in the past, including the first 24hr race I ever did.

Today there was just a small-craft wind advisory. There are red beacons around the lake that start flashing when the wind is really nasty. They were already on when I showed up. A park ranger warned me to be careful out there. It was likely gusting to 40mph around some of the points.

I paddled out to the long inlet on the south side of the lake. It was calm there, at least. I practiced some wet exit and entry just in case I would need that skill in the race. The water was still pretty cold but I had a wetsuit on.

On the return trip I fought the very nasty headwind. It slowed me down to below 2mph at times while I was paddling all-out. Very exhausting. Although I managed to stay in my boat I was glad I had the wetsuit on. If I fell out I would probably be blown across the lake before I would be able to get back in. It took me 1:20 to go "out" and 2:40 to go nearly the same distance "back".

No comments: