Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ohlone Trail, Part 2

My knee was feeling ok so I decided to take on part 2 of the Ohlone Trail on Saturday. This section runs from Sunol Wilderness to Rose Peak. I brought my trekking poles and kept the intensity way down. Still, it was 6000ft of climbing and 18.5 miles.

The weather was pleasant for a change. Cloudy the whole time but much warmer and no rain (yay!). Many good views and the trails were in great condition.

Although I had planned an out-and-back, after the "out" part I decided to explore some alternate routes for the return trip. Very little of the return trip was spent on the main trail. The rest was a combination of seldom used trails, cross country, and, uh, some private property.

I did get some pitures.



On the way out I spied Goat Rock, which I decided to scramble up on the return trip.



From Rose Peak I had nice views back towards the bay to the city and Mount Tam in the distance.



On the return trip I headed down to the base of Goat Rock, which looks much larger from below. It was an easy walk up the back side. I tried to find a way down the rocky face, but couldn't find anything that looked safe. From the rock I headed cross-country out to the main road and the jogged back to the car.



I stopped at the bottom of the W-Tree Rock Scramble to take a picture of its namesake tree.

No comments: